Click banner to go to Collin County Freedom Fighters


Spc Peter John Courcy

Cpl. Peter John Courcy, 22, hockey player and graduate of Frisco High School, died on 10 February, 2009, from wounds sustained when his vehicle was hit that morning by a car-bomb attack in Salerno, Afghanistan. Cpl. Courcy was manning a .50-caliber machine gun in the point vehicle of a convoy when his Humvee was rammed by the car, which exploded on contact. He died after being transported to Camp Salerno, Khost Province, in eastern.Afghanistan. Peter joined the Army in 2006 and went through Airborne training in 2007 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. In Afghanistan he served with D Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division.

His awards and decorations include:
Purple Heart
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Army Service Ribbon
Sharpshooter Badge.

Friends Mourn Frisco Man Killed While Serving in Afghanistan
03:45 PM CST on Saturday, February 14, 2009
By ROY APPLETON / The Dallas Morning News

On the ice hockey rink and wrestling mat, Peter John Courcy battled for Frisco High School with power and authority. He joined the fight last year on the sands and in the mountains of Afghanistan, living a lifelong dream of military service. Now his family, friends and respectful strangers are mourning his death weeks before his scheduled return to North Texas and his parents, wife and infant son.
U.S. Army Spc. Courcy, 22, and a fellow soldier died Tuesday when a car packed with explosives plowed into their convoy-leading Humvee near the American base at Salerno.
"I lost a piece of my soul that day," his squad leader, Sgt. Bruce Hunter, said Friday, recalling the midmorning attack and remembering a friend who always wanted to man the lead .50-caliber machine gun on patrols. "He knew the dangers. He knew the risks. But he did it every day," said Sgt. Hunter, whose mother and grandparents live in the Collin County city of Princeton.
Born at Fort Hood in Central Texas, Peter Courcy "always wanted to be in the military," said his father, Chris Bush of Frisco. In a 2003 interview with The Dallas Morning News, he talked of two role models: his grandfather, Ernest Courcy, a Vietnam War veteran, now retired in Coppell, and his uncle Daniel Colasanto, a Garland police officer, who served in the Persian Gulf War.
Team Leadership was his favorite class. "We're going to elementary schools and helping little kids and being role models for them," he said. And he talked of applying to West Point.
At Fort Hood, where he lived with his mother and role-model grandfather, young Peter began playing roller hockey. After moving to Frisco in the eighth grade, he took up ice hockey and wrestling, excelling in both sports in high school. "He was an exceptional kid, very mature for his age," said hockey coach John Bullis, recalling his second-leading scorer and assistant captain. "He was quiet, but he garnered respect. He was the glue for the hockey team."
In the halls of Frisco High School, he showed a strength of spirit, said former principal Rick Burnett. "He had a smile on his face every day. You could tell things were good with him," Mr. Burnett said. "He had a presence."
After high school, he played amateur hockey for the Dallas Ice Hawks before enlisting in the Army in 2006. The next year, Spc. Courcy joined his 101st Airborne Division unit at Fort Campbell, Ky., and arrived in Afghanistan last March with the 4th Platoon, Company D, 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment. There he built bonds as a leader who brought a sense of stability and ease.
"He was one of the goofiest guys I ever met," said Sgt. Hunter, recalling the "stupid movie quotes" that would flow from his friend's mouth and how the sound of his telephone, with its disco ringtone, would get the unit dancing.
Spc. Courcy was also a calming influence, Rafal Gerszak, a photojournalist from Toronto embedded with his platoon, said Friday. "He never got angry at anybody, always had a smile on his face, and cheered everybody else up during the hard times," he wrote in an e-mail. "He was very excited to go back home in a few weeks and spend time with his baby and wife."
Spc. Courcy got to spend time with his wife, Mara, and newborn son, Anthony, while home on leave in September. In camp, he talked often of his son, Sgt. Hunter said, and planned to make sure he was a Dallas Cowboys nut like his father. The proud father was due to end his one-year Afghanistan tour next month. He had signed on for another five years of service, hoping to join the Special Forces.
Now his family awaits the return of his body and word from the military on when that will be.
In addition to his wife, his son and his father, Spc. Courcy is survived by his mother, Mary Bush of Frisco, and an infant brother, Luke Bush. In time, they plan to have a memorial service at St. Ann Catholic Church in Coppell with burial at Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery in Dallas, his father said. "We'd love to have a lot of people come out when he comes home," he said. "Pete deserves that."
In Afghanistan, his platoon remains mindful of their losses and ever-present threats, Sgt. Hunter said. "We're fighting for the Courcys and everyone else" killed in action, he said. "And we won't stop until we get orders to get home."


  Chris Bush took some time alone with his son, Cpl. Peter Courcy, before leaving Mulkey-Mason Funeral Home in Lewisville on Tuesday.  Photos by LARA SOLT/DMN

Retired Lt. Col. Ernest Courcy, a Vietnam veteran, kisses the flag-draped casket of his grandson Cpl. Peter Courcy.

Crowd Gathers at Addison Airport to Honor Fallen Frisco Soldier
09:46 AM CST on Wednesday, February 18, 2009
By ROY APPLETON / The Dallas Morning News

ADDISON His parents wanted to honor their son, to have the public witness his return from the war in Afghanistan. As a chartered jet sped ever closer to home, bearing the body of U.S. Army Cpl. Peter Courcy, the soldier's mother and father drifted Tuesday among the solemn at Addison Airport. With hugs, soft words and a few tears, they shared a few moments of peace. "I appreciate everyone coming out," said Chris Bush, Courcy's father, returning to his family and the business at hand.

At 12:34 p.m., the plane taxied from a runway. It rolled beneath an American flag whipped by a chilling wind and stretched between the extended ladders of two fire trucks. And it came to rest before Courcy's parents, wife, 5-month-old son and hundreds of family, friends and strangers. They had come to pay respects to a 22-year-old Frisco High School graduate killed in a suicide bombing as he neared the end of a yearlong tour of duty. Some carried flags. Cameras caught the moments. Several of Courcy's hockey teammates at Frisco High wore blue, red and yellow jerseys.
One, John Bullis Jr., tried to put the loss of his close friend into context. "He had a lot of options, but I always understood what he wanted to do," he said. "He wanted to serve and protect us. He died doing what he loved."
Lisa Mahaffey brightened as she recalled her high school classmate. "He could always put a smile on your face," she said. She came for his homecoming for a simple reason: "I knew him. He was a good person. He would have enjoyed this," she said.
Standing alone, Al Kraft said he never met Courcy. "I just felt this was someplace I needed to be," said the Garland resident, tears seeping from his eyes. "It was the least I could do. We can sure support the people trying to make things better," he said. "We don't realize how lucky we are to live here, and there's a lot of people making it that way."
The crowd stood still and silent, some with hand on heart, as the plane's side doors rose. An honor guard placed the wooden, flag-draped coffin on a gurney. The family gathered around for prayer. And with uniformed officers saluting, the coffin was placed in a hearse. The traffic-stopping procession to a funeral home in Lewisville included 36 members of th Patriot Guard Riders, a motorcycle club that supports the families of fallen military personnel. Along the way, people paused to watch the passing vehicles, half a world away from the fighting in Afghanistan. Some saluted. Others waved flags. Children at a Lewisville school pressed their faces to a playground fence. Tiny flags lined Edmonds Lane near the funeral home, where the coffin, family and friends were united.
Courcy's mother, Mary, knelt first before the wooden box, sobbing and rubbing its flag. His wife, Mara, followed, leaving their son, Anthony, briefly in the care of others.
A Mass for Courcy will begin at 10 a.m. today at St. Ann Catholic Church, 180 Samuel Blvd. in Coppell. Burial will follow at Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery in Dallas.

Frisco Hockey Players Honor Peter Courcy


To honor the memory of Peter Courcy all players will wear a memorial sticker for the remainder of the season.

Peter Courcy Memorial Scholarship Fund

The family has expressed their wishes to begin a Peter Courcy Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Peter Courcy Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating FISD senior in Peters memory at the Frisco Education Foundation Scholarship Night. The Foundation is taking donations for the scholarship fund in Peters memory. The intent is to endow this scholarship so that Peters memory may be carried on each year through this award. Donations are tax deductible and may be sent to: 

The Frisco Education Foundation
P.O. Box 567
Frisco, TX 75034 

100% of donations made to the Peter Courcy Memorial Scholarship will go directly into the scholarship fund. Please be sure to memo Peter Courcy Memorial Scholarship with all donations so funds may be applied accordingly. The Foundation will notify the family of all donations made to the scholarship fund along with names of the donors. Warmest Regards,   

Allison Miller
Director, Frisco Education Foundation
Partners in Education Program
Frisco ISD